I am a senior research scientist at Northeastern University’s Network Science Institute and a fellow at Harvard Kennedy School's Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy. I completed my Ph.D. in Political Science, with focuses in American Politics and Political Methodology, from the Ohio State University in June 2020. My primary research agenda concerns the study of ideological belief systems, including how they are structured at an individual level and how they are constructed at a system level. My peer-reviewed work concerning public opinion and political behavior in the United States has appeared or is accepted to appear in journals such as Science Advances, the British Journal of Political Science, Public Opinion Quarterly, Perspectives on Politics, and Political Research Quarterly.
My CV can be found here.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Green, Jon, Brian Schaffner, and Sam Luks. "Strategic Discrimination in the 2020 Democratic Primary." Accepted, Public Opinion Quarterly. Link to preprint.
- Green, Jon, James N. Druckman, Matthew A. Baum, David Lazer, Katherine Ognyanova, Matthew D. Simonson, Jennifer Lin, Mauricio Santillana, and Roy Perlis. "Using General Messages to Persuade on a Politicized Scientific Issue." Accepted, British Journal of Political Science. Link to preprint.
- Green, Jon. 2021. "Does Race Stop at the Water's Edge? Elites, the Public, and Support for Foreign Intervention among White U.S. Citizens over Time." Political Science Quarterly 136(2): 339-361. Link to article.
- Conroy, Meredith, and Jon Green. 2020. "It Takes a Motive: Communal and Agentic Articulated Interest and Candidate Emergence." Political Research Quarterly 73(4): 942-956. Link to article.
- Green, Jon, Jared Edgerton, Daniel Naftel, Kelsey Shoub, and Skyler Cranmer. 2020. "Elusive Consensus: Polarization in Elite Communication on the COVID-19 Pandemic." Science Advances 6(28): eabc2717. Link to article.
- Green, Jon. 2019. "Floating Policy Voters in the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election." Electoral Studies 67. Link to article.
- Green, Jon, and Sean McElwee. 2019. "The Differential Effects of Economic Conditions and Racial Attitudes in the Election of Donald Trump." Perspectives on Politics 17(2): 358-379. Link to article.
- Neblo, Michael, William Minozzi, Kevin M. Esterling, Jon Green, Jonathon Kingzette, and David M. J. Lazer. 2016. "The need for a translational science of democracy." Science 355(6328), 914-915. Link to article.
Peer Reviewed Conference Proceedings
- Horne, Benjamin D., Maurício Gruppi, Kenneth Joseph, Jon Green, John P. Wihbey, and Sibel Adali. "NELA-Local: A Dataest of U.S. Local News Articles for the Study of County-Level News Ecosystems." Accepted, International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media 2022. Link to dataset.
- Joseph, Kenneth, Benjamin D. Horne, Jon Green, and John P. Wihbey. "Local News and COVID in the U.S.: Relationships between Coverage, Cases, Deaths, and Audience." Accepted, International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media 2022. Link to paper.
- Joseph, Kenneth, Sarah Shugars, Ryan Gallagher, Jon Green, Alexi Quintana Mathé, Zijian An and David Lazer. "(Mis)alignment Between Stance Expressed in Social Media Data and Public Opinion Surveys." Accepted, Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing 2021. Link to paper.
- Green, Jon, Jonathon Kingzette, and Michael Neblo. 2019. "Deliberative Democracy and Political Decision Making." in The Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Politics, eds. David Redlawsk and Cengiz Erisen. Link to chapter.
Preprints and Papers Under Review
- Green, Jon, William R. Hobbs, Stefan McCabe, and David Lazer. "Despair or Defiance? Assessing Turnout Effects of Election Misinformation." Revise and resubmit, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Preprint.
- Green, Jon, Meredith Conroy, and Ciera Hammond. "Something to Run For: Articulated Interest and Candidate Emergence." Revise and resubmit, Political Behavior. Preprint.
- Green, Jon, James N. Druckman, Matthew A. Baum, Katherine Ognyanova, Matthew D. Simonson, Roy H. Perlis, and David Lazer. "Association Between Facebook Use for COVID-19 Information and Vaccine Skepticism in the United States." Revise and resubmit, Nature.
- Robertson, Ronald E., Jon Green, Damian Ruck, Katherine Ognyanova, Christo Wilson, and David Lazer. "Engagement Outweighs Exposure to Partisan and Unreliable News within Google Search." Revise and resubmit, Nature. Preprint.
- Naftel, Daniel, Jon Green, Kelsey Shoub, Jared Edgerton, Mallory Wagner, and Sklyer Cranmer. "Meet the Press: Gendered Conversational Norms in Televised Political Discussions." Under review. Preprint.
- Benegal, Salil, and Jon Green. "Cost Sensitivity, Partisan Cues, and Support for the Green New Deal." Under review.
- Lacombe, Matthew, Matthew D. Simonson, Jon Green, and James N. Druckman. "Social Disruption, Gun Buying, and Anti-System Beliefs." Under review.
- Esterling, Kevin, Stefan McCabe, Diogo Ferrari, Jon Green, and David Lazer. "Deplatforming Right-Wing Extremists on Twitter Following the January 6 Insurrection." Under review.
- Green, Jon. "Ideological Belief Systems in Theory and Practice: Evidence from Political Pundits." Preprint.
- Chewning, Taylor, Jon Green, Hans J.G. Hassell, and Matthew R. Miles. "Campaign Volunteers as Representative Agents."
- Green, Jon, Stefan McCabe, Sarah Shugars, John Harrington, Hanyu Chwe, Shuyang Cao, and David Lazer. "Curation Bubbles: Domain Versus URL Level Analysis of Partisan News Sharing on Social Media." Presented at the 2021 meetings of the Midwest and American Political Science Associations. Preprint.
- Klein, Brennan, Nicholas Generous, Matteo Chinazzi, Zarana Bhadricha, Rishab Gunashekar, Preeti Kori, Bodian Li, Stefan McCabe, Jon Green, David Lazer, Christopher R. Marsicano, Samuel V. Scarpino, and Alessandro Vespignani. "Higher education responses to COVID-19 in the United States: Evidence for the impacts of university policy." Under review. Preprint.
- Green, Jon, Jonathon Kingzette, William Minozzi, and Michael Neblo. "A Speech Act Perspective on the Survey Response." Preprint.
- Green, Jon, Matthew A. Baum, James N. Druckman, David Lazer, Katherine Ognyanova, Matthew D. Simonson, Roy Perlis, and Mauricio Santillana. "Identifying and Measuring Conditional Policy Preferences: The Case of Opening Schools During a Pandemic." Preprint.
- Green, Jon, and Michael Neblo. "The Dilemmas of a (Hyper-)Extended Republic? Four Levels of Representation in Redistricting." Preprint.